Formation into the Columban missionary priesthood includes the following process:
- Australian and New Zealand Columban students begin their formation for missionary priesthood in the Sydney suburb of Strathfield, in Australia, New South Wales. They live together in a formation community consisting of Columban students and Columban missionary priests responsible for the formation of the students.
- Columban students do their academic studies at the Catholic Institute of Sydney nearby in Strathfield.
- At a later stage, they may continue their studies in one of several possible overseas locations with Columban students from other countries.
- The formation programme includes a 'Spiritual Year', which is a specific time of prayer, discernment, reflection and pastoral work done in another country with other Columban students.
- The formation programme also includes two years on mission assignment with Columbans overseas.
- Ordination to the Columban missionary priesthood is a wonderful day for a new Columban, his family, friends and parish community.